This bar graph shows how increasing illness and growing dependence affects caregivers. The left-hand side shows the degree of family caregiver help. The bar at the bottom shows the changes from health and independence to illness and dependence.
- The first bar shows an independent and healthy older relative who needs little help from family members.
- In the second bar the older adult has occasional illness needing some assistance from family members.
- The third bar shows chronic illness that may require increasing help.
- The fourth bar shows chronic serious illness with the family member needing more assistance.
- The final bar shows chronic serious illness and impairment when the older adult cannot live independently.
- The older adult needs a lot of help and needs in-home assistance or may even live in a long-term care facility.
- As the older adult loses health and independent the family caregiver provides increasing help, time, and resources.
As the older adult loses health and independent the family caregiver provides increasing help, time, and resources.
Note: Image may take some time to load.
Note: You may close or minimize this page to return to
Role of the Family Caregiver ” : Module 1.